Thursday, November 13, 2014

Feature Story

Northwestern Athletes and Coaches Open Up About the Difficulties of Being an Athlete Because of Expectations and Their Busy Schedules.

Being an athlete in high school is not easy. "It takes a lot to be an athlete in high school you have to really know how to use your time. We (football team) practice from 3:30 to 7 an hour for film and two hours homework." Practice schedules vary for every sport. Basketball players practice is Monday-Friday 4 to 5:30 and sometimes 5:30 to 7, soccer practice is 4-7.

"Northwestern athletes are looked at as ambassadors for our school and are held to a higher standard," stated girls soccer Coach Mouzon, when asked his expectations on his athletes. Coach Jordan Kyles, 9th grade girls basketball coach stated, "I expect ultimate improvement from my players so they can further help the program later." When speaking with football Coach Pierce he stated, "I want my players to give their best efforts, focus and become better people."

Cross country runner, Amber Johnson stated, "My Dad is my coach and he runs and is a good runner and so I'm supposed to be," when asked the type of expectations on her. Alex Anderson stated, "I'm expected to win and be disciplined." "I can't act a fool, I can't post just anything on Instagram, I'm expected to be a role model," stated Julian Shockley.

Being a true athlete you practice on and off the track or field. Northwestern athletes admit to weight lifting, watching their diet, running around neighborhood and much more training in and out of season. You think you have what it takes to be a Northwestern athlete?


 A capture of Northwestern football players with the 'Win Today' sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment